Sunday, August 12, 2012

Vintage Dress to Modern Top



I found this green dress from the early 80's at the dump near my grandmother's house on Martha's Vineyard. Read my earlier post to learn more about the FREE! (and clean) clothes I picked up there. When I first saw it I wasn't sure what it was but I liked the color of it so I figured I would find something to do with it.




It had long cuffed sleeves which didn't fit me and had been hemmed by the previous owner. Luckily it was undamaged and in good condition except for both side seams had been ripped. It didn't really fit me and was way too short! After I used my seam-ripper on the hem there was enough length to be worn as a dress but at the last minute it became a top. I also couldn't imagine wearing a knit dress in the summer. The material is a little too overwhelming for a dress so I figured I would get more use out of it as a top. 


Before I even decided that I was making a top, I knew I had to do something about the back. I don't ever wear polos and since I'm really into anything and everything backless right now I decided to give it a shot. I think the combination of a strappy backless top and a preppy polo is actually kinda cool. Its not perfect, but I'm happy with how it turned out. The hem is asymmetrical, slightly longer in the back, and much more flattering than the frumpy dress it used to be.

I rarely ever go into a project with a vision of how its going to look in the end. I don't have a dress form, so I'm constantly trying something on, pinning it, taking it off, sewing it, trying it on again, and repeating the process all over again after realizing it needs to be fixed, at least once, and often many many times. 















No comments:

Post a Comment